WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 23:33 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 16:58 pm 

I have been following the thread about powdered egg very closely for the last week or so. The one thing that is self evident is that we have some really talented people on here who can turn their hand to doing high quality repro rations.

For months if not years many posters on here have been bemoaning the fact that good quality British 24 hour rat packs are impossible to obtain.

Well, I was thinking surely this would be worth looking into?

Dishmop, Saddle Tramp, Sgt. Paddy, what do you think?

I am sure that there would be a decent demand for a good product, or even a good quality box, a set of labels & instructions as to what to do with them.

What does anyone think?

Mark F

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 18:18 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: Vereniging Historische Militaria
Well Mark,

Years ago I made an attempt to make myself a British 24h Rat pack. Got a box from Paul Woodadge (Polarbear), which seemed to be made by a friend of mine (Mike Dice. Didn't know he made them in the first place) at that time. But the problem was to find the containts of the pack. So I dropped the attempt. But it never quite left my mind. Then last year I read an article (of one of our friends here on the forum, Matt) about making a box and found the website of repro rations in the US, where they have eddible packs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlz_j09txIw This is a film about the box of Repro Rations.

I still have that box I bought more than 10 years ago and I can reproduce it easily. Now I am thinking of making those boxes with eddible products close to the real deal. Only problem is the containts. Where to obtain good eddible products, which matches the dimensions of the products during the war. I have never seen an original box with it's original containts... Any Ideas?

(BTW Mark, your labels are send off by post)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 18:24 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: FSSF-UK
Sgt. Paddy wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlz_j09txIw This is a film about the box of Repro Rations.

I'm not keen on the labels on wee strips....

Strange, they only post in my threads when it's controversial, seems they want to vent their spleens whilst claiming victimhood ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEwVpWFyy3M

"I don't use the pozi net ,because there are too many left wing oversensitive retards on there..."

"I reflect on the infamous 1987 photograph by American artist Andres Serrano that depicts a crucifix submerged in a glass of the artist's urine. I remember all the leftists that jeered and mocked me, and many Christians like me, for being bruised by that photograph (the title of which I would rather not verbalize). They scoffed and told us to get a life. These are the same people today, unsurprisingly, who are stridently arguing for curtailment of free speech not to offend Muslims."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 18:43 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Found an older thread on here about the ration pack: http://www.wwiireenacting.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=18492

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 19:13 pm 
1000+ Poster

Is the stuff on repro-rations any good, and is it right?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:30 am 

Is the stuff on repro-rations any good,

NO

and is it right?

NO

This is why I really think there could be decent demand for a more accurate representation. The main problem is the "Meat Block" these were usually dried meat like Biltong or Jerky. Tinned supplies were never included in British 24 hour rat packs as far as I can ascertain.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:51 am 
 WWW  Profile

Found these photos on an other thread here on this forum. So no tinned food but three tablets of Cadbury's chocolate...? Well I have the dimensions of such a tablet and next week I will make me a dummy. Then my friend Lawrence can make me a mould. When the mould is finished I can make edible tablets of chocolate. That would be a start...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:59 am 
1000+ Poster

Group: A.F.R.A
Sgt. Paddy wrote:
Found these photos on an other thread here on this forum. So no tinned food but three tablets of Cadbury's chocolate...? Well I have the dimensions of such a tablet and next week I will make me a dummy. Then my friend Lawrence can make me a mould. When the mould is finished I can make edible tablets of chocolate. That would be a start...

first tentative steps towards the holy grail of the British rat pack, will be watching closely! :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:08 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Searching the internet about the 24h Rat pack I found pictures of an instructions leaflet which came with the Rat pack. If you look closely then you will find the printer's markings on the botom of the attached picture. Nice to know that this Instruction leaflet was printed in October 1943. In some of the threads here on the forum I had read that this Rat pack came after D-Day, which is in my opinion (based on this leaflet) not true.

Now on with the contains of the Rat pack. The leaflet says:

This box contains the full rations (in concentrated form) for one man for one day as follows:-
- 10 biscuits
- 2 sweetened oatmeal blocks.
- tea/sugar/milk blocks (may be wrapped together).
- 1 meat block. (May be several wrapped together).
- 2 slabs of raisin chocolate.
- 1 slab of plain chocolate.
- boiled sweets.
- 2 packets of chewing gum.
- 1 packet of salt.
- meat extract tablet(s).
- 4 tablets of sugar.
- 4 pieces latrine paper.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 15:50 pm 
1000+ Poster

I found this while trawling arond for the contents and layout for a smal boiled sweets, salt & matches tin (laso needed for the large chocolated and boiled sweets tin if anyone can help)
and unless i haven't read it properly, it seems to sugest you can use a tin of meat in there, looks like that on the contents list anyway.

http://www.6thaarr.com/rations-and-cooking.html

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 17:38 pm 
4000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

LOL omg thanks paddy for bring that thread-and the other one up-as it brought a smile to the face and song to the memory. the song? lol circles of the mind ;).
yes i still knock up the 24's to pass the time.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 17:59 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: AFRA • CHALK • PROUD MEMBER OF GPRA • SFAM
Sgt. Paddy wrote:
Then last year I read an article (of one of our friends here on the forum, Matt) about making a box

Hi Mark (Paddy) et al

I'm presently away on holiday but managed to find some wi-fi! :D

Everything in the ration box I made is edible. I decided to make edible first to prove it could be done, and then follow this with a display only version.

Sourcing the right contents proved to be.... a challenge, so I had to make certain allowances. The dehydrated meat was a total non-starter, even after contacting overseas companies and local manufacturers of meat products I came up with nothing. Then I too tried the beef jerky method but to be quite honest I'd rather eat my own feet! Disgusting stuff. For this reason I replaced the dehydrated meat block with half a dozen meat extract blocks (Oxo). But, if anyone can source the correct stuff, I'd be interested.

The oatmeal blocks are 'Oatibix' blocks.

The chocolate is just chocolate (I believe the original had added vitamins?).

Sugar is sugar cubes. I had to make the correct salt sachet myself.

The sweets are boiled sweets in unmarked wrappers (as far as I know these could be different sweets depending on the ration pack manufacturer?).

The tea is just instant powdered tea portioned into small individual bags and packed into boxes I made myself, then wrapped in paper.

The chewing gum is Wrigleys Extra rewrapped in clear cellophane (not cling film)

The biscuits are some pretty sturdy, unbranded supermarket bought, snack biscuits but then I found that Frank Brown makes the 'hardtack' biscuits (as well as smocks) which could be a better option.

All the paper is sourced by myself and is grease proof if needed, but each piece is slightly different as per the originals I've seen ( I'm guessing certain items would be produced by sub contractors and then supplied to the assembly company making the finished product?)

Producing 'edible' 24 hr rations is relatively simple, producing 'authentic, edible' 24 hr rations is another thing entirely. Plus, you'll need to source the right wrapping papers and then be able to print onto that paper not cop out with another label wrapped around the first one.

Like anything in this hobby, the 24 hr rations are 'doable', it's the price and the time which are prohibitive.

I'll follow this thread with interest and wish you all the best of luck with it :wink:

http://chalknumber.blogspot.com/

There's only two men that I trust; one of them is me... the other is not you.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 18:17 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Squeakyclean wrote:
I'll follow this thread with interest and wish you all the best of luck with it :wink:

Thanks Matt, for the information you gave us. Well I have to look for products overhere in Holland. Maybe I can find the contains overhere. Else I have to get them elsewhere in Europe or around the globe...

I have been searching for slabs of chocolate with the same dimensions as the wartime ones, but have never found them. The modern ones come in different sizes. If I look at the ones on the Photo they match the wartime Cadbury ones. So for that I had asked my friend Lawrence to make me a mould to make edible tablets of chocolate. He made one last year for the American ration chocolate (read it on my website).

Well we will see how far we come and how we can reduce prices to manufacture those 24h Rations.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 21:29 pm 
2000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: VERA
NOt sure if this image has been posted before - its from January 44

Alistair

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:34 am 

Then I too tried the beef jerky method but to be quite honest I'd rather eat my own feet! Disgusting stuff.

That's the right stuff. Having spent quite a bit of time in SA I am happy to say I love Biltong. I reckon the original, was dried then probably shredded & compressed into blocks. I have tried a few experiments, but can't get the shredded bits to coalesce into a block.

Thanks for your input Squeaky, all excellent suggestions.

M

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:58 am 
1000+ Poster

Group: 53rd Welsh
Cracking stuff however I feel that a good 14 man Compo ration is crying out for work as well ;)