WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 13:48 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Re: Burmese Spitfires
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 15:13 pm 
2000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: WW2 JRA
NikToo wrote:
The father of a friend of mine was in the US Army in the war. He did stores and stuff. Apparently they dumped a load of boots down a Cornish tin mine as they were no good. So if anyone feels like an expedition to Dartmoor...

A Cornish tin mine, on Dartmoor? Somehow i find that impossible to believe, mainly because dartmoor is in Devon not Cornwall. I can almost guarantee the water will have eaten them by now anyway

Japanese Reenactors forum http://z13.invisionfree.com/IJA_Reenacting/index.php?

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 15:47 pm 
3000+ Poster

Group: Oh, God, pretty much everyone it seems
The few things that were dumped, rather than scrapped, were items that would likely caused a serious surplus on the post war civilian market, and there were fears that scrap dealers would just sell on serviceable items. Dumping bicycles makes sense, as the numbers released would have been catastrophic for the British bicycle industry...but with spitfires...well...there was hardly a thriving demand for fighter aircraft amongst the civilian population...

NATIVE: Those are the sacred pyramids where my ancestors are buried.
BRITISH OFFICER: Cool. There any kinda zombie curse or anything we should know about? I mean, I want to pillage'em, but I don't want to cause no problems.
NATIVE: Our people lie merely asleep in their graves, waiting to shriek forth and bring agonising death to any who would dare disturb their peace.
BRITISH OFFICER: Be serious.
NATIVE: ...in truth the curse is probably apocryphal.
BRITISH OFFICER: Wicked. Carter, bust out the Gatling guns! I want to be revered as a God by teatime.

True story

Last edited by SteveCobden on Thu Feb 21, 2013 16:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 15:56 pm 

Tanaka wrote:
NikToo wrote:
The father of a friend of mine was in the US Army in the war. He did stores and stuff. Apparently they dumped a load of boots down a Cornish tin mine as they were no good. So if anyone feels like an expedition to Dartmoor...

A Cornish tin mine, on Dartmoor? Somehow i find that impossible to believe, mainly because dartmoor is in Devon not Cornwall. I can almost guarantee the water will have eaten them by now anyway

Well, wherever there's a tin mine down there. It's true though, I have the audio tapes of an interview my friend did with his father about his time in the war.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 16:01 pm 
2000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: WW2 JRA
NikToo wrote:
Tanaka wrote:
NikToo wrote:

Well, wherever there's a tin mine down there. It's true though, I have the audio tapes of an interview my friend did with his father about his time in the war.

Oh i have no doubt its true and if i knew the name of the mine i could probaly tell you if its possible to actually get them back, but there are hundreds of mines across Cornwall and Devon. I was more concerned with the insult of the idea of a Cornish tin mine in Devon :lol: :lol: :lol:

Japanese Reenactors forum http://z13.invisionfree.com/IJA_Reenacting/index.php?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 18:41 pm 
3000+ Poster

Group: Za Oboronu! (For Defence!)
These stories crop up from time to time. Back in the early 90s (long before I did WW2) I was friends with a Harley rider and he was telling me about "hundreds of WLA42s crated up in a Russian salt mine".

Complete rubbish of course. The story cycles round with different hardware and locations.

Quote:
"Memory is deceptive because it is coloured by today's events." Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 13:59 pm 

Group: LHA.
maquis wrote:
Closer to home, every USAAF base in the U.K reputedly had at least one 'pit', where all sorts of goodies were supposedly buried.

On most airfields, all the bycycles were buried , to stop them being 'liberated' . Heavy tools, lathes etc, junk/scrapped parts went into some pits.

Buried close to me....

The Yanks -
Ammunition (lots of) on the nearest airfield site to me. :!:
Motor bikes some where on the outskirts my vilage. :shock:

RAF -
Milk bottles. :roll:

....and guess which one I found. :(

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 14:37 pm 

Frontovik wrote:
These stories crop up from time to time. Back in the early 90s (long before I did WW2) I was friends with a Harley rider and he was telling me about "hundreds of WLA42s crated up in a Russian salt mine".

Complete rubbish of course. The story cycles round with different hardware and locations.

I have to agree with the rubbish of 'hundreds... in a salt mine', but back in the '90's a number of wartime Harleys did reappear and if you were prepared to make the trip eastwards and could contact the right 'dubious characters' they could be bought. I remember reading an article, it was covered by one of the monthly bike magazines (possibly Bike) and pictures of the bikes may even have found their way on to the web? From memory they were no way mint machines, but a comparitive 'glut' of them appeared at the time. Some slight truths in some of the tales.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 19:42 pm 
3000+ Poster

Group: Za Oboronu! (For Defence!)
Bill Smythe wrote:
...back in the '90's a number of wartime Harleys did reappear and if you were prepared to make the trip eastwards and could contact the right 'dubious characters' they could be bought. I remember reading an article, it was covered by one of the monthly bike magazines (possibly Bike) and pictures of the bikes may even have found their way on to the web? From memory they were no way mint machines, but a comparitive 'glut' of them appeared at the time. Some slight truths in some of the tales.

And you can find rare (for the West) jeeps out there as well. But they've all been kept running since the war not hidden away. I'd agree that those bikes might be the origin of the stories but it's in no way the 'truth' of anything kept hidden since the war.

Quote:
"Memory is deceptive because it is coloured by today's events." Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:39 am 

Group: 2nd Armored in Europe
My Grandad told me about him and his fellow MP's crying after they were made to push their bikes over the cliff into a quarry in England before they were shipped off to Palestine or to NW Europe when they split up the 9th Armd Division for replacements. He was still upset about it when he told, because they had looked after their motorbikes as they would their own.

Go figure that one out!

Cheers,
Glen.

Look Out Below! : http://www.look-out-below.co.uk/

"The only thing stopping you, is you"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:46 am 

Group: Soldier blue RAF Regiment LHG/Independant
There's an ex American air base close to where i live,that's suppose to have m/cycles jeeps aircraft and all insundry buried on it,but i would of thought after all these years someone would of been out with a spade and found something.

Although i do live on an ex airbase where they used to dump written off aircraft in a disused quarry on its perimeter,and i do know the RAF have dug merlin engines out of there in the past,now where did i put my old metal detector!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:07 am 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Group: Independant
I remember being at Littlecote House, Hungerford back in the 70's before it became a hotel, the Wills family had it as a home, and supposedly there is a large well in the grounds somewhere with a lot of kit that was dumped there after the troops left for D-Day ... on one of the back walls of the outbuildings we did find a whole load of .30 cal ammo in an old oil pit .. it was still good to use.

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals " ...

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:28 am 
4000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: AFRA
scimitar wrote:
i do live on an ex airbase where they used to dump written off aircraft in a disused quarry on its perimeter

I've heard a similar story about Elsham Wold, from a chap stationed there. As far as I know nothing major has been found there.

"Truth is a shining goddess, always veiled, always distant, never wholly approachable, but worthy of all the devotion of which the human spirit is capable. "
"Truth is incontrovertible, ignorance can deride it, panic may resent it, malice may destroy it, but there it is."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:48 pm 
4000+ Poster

Im sure *they* found boxes of grenades in Clumber park a few years ago. Although of course I can find no references on the tinternet.....mind you, I was on the periphery of an IRA bombing that was hushed up in the local and national press and only appeared on the CIA world fact book thingy so......

War,huh,what is it good for? Absolutly nothin'.......but some jolly good films

. -. --. .-.. .- -. -.. / . -..- .--. . -.-. - ... / . ...- . .-. -.-- -- .- -. / - --- / -.. --- / .... .. ... / -.. ..- - -.--