WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:55 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:12 am 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Group: Independant
Exactly :roll: .... what .. hard wood instead of soft wood .. :lol:

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals " ...

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:10 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: FSSF-UK
Correspondent wrote:
What the hell ...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW2-US-Army- ... SwL4lbCVnE

Ive seen them at £60 plus and thought that was dear ... is this a joke or what ... ???

Let's see, to make these you need the following:
Chuck saw (mines was £200)
Circular saw (£50)
Materials (£20 - £30? -wood, screws, hinges, etc not to mention the paint, last tin I bought was £60)
Power drill (mines was £150)

Time to build (2-3 hours?), you will need a yard, can't knock these things up in your wee bedsit can ye?

All this just to give them away, some people just want something for nothing :roll: :roll:

Strange, they only post in my threads when it's controversial, seems they want to vent their spleens whilst claiming victimhood ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEwVpWFyy3M

"I don't use the pozi net ,because there are too many left wing oversensitive retards on there..."

"I reflect on the infamous 1987 photograph by American artist Andres Serrano that depicts a crucifix submerged in a glass of the artist's urine. I remember all the leftists that jeered and mocked me, and many Christians like me, for being bruised by that photograph (the title of which I would rather not verbalize). They scoffed and told us to get a life. These are the same people today, unsurprisingly, who are stridently arguing for curtailment of free speech not to offend Muslims."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:12 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Correspondent wrote:
Exactly :roll: .... what .. hard wood instead of soft wood .. :lol:

And i quote YOUR own words:
"Totally and utterly incapable of ever making any form of constructive comment ... !!"

You sir, are the gift that just keeps coming :lol: :lol: :lol:

Strange, they only post in my threads when it's controversial, seems they want to vent their spleens whilst claiming victimhood ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEwVpWFyy3M

"I don't use the pozi net ,because there are too many left wing oversensitive retards on there..."

"I reflect on the infamous 1987 photograph by American artist Andres Serrano that depicts a crucifix submerged in a glass of the artist's urine. I remember all the leftists that jeered and mocked me, and many Christians like me, for being bruised by that photograph (the title of which I would rather not verbalize). They scoffed and told us to get a life. These are the same people today, unsurprisingly, who are stridently arguing for curtailment of free speech not to offend Muslims."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:19 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

http://s106.photobucket.com/user/jumpwings/media/repro%20rations/field%20table_zpssmkyvwii.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:36 am 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

.... SIGH ..... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: totally irrelevant .. as usual ... !!

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:12 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Correspondent wrote:
.... SIGH ..... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: totally irrelevant .. as usual ... !!

Ohh the irony :lol:

The thread is US Army folding table plans, I've just provided a link to the drawings/plans of that folding table ...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:19 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Ohh, I forgot, you'll need a welder (cheapie I have, £20, plus about a tenner/£10 for rods)...

Cause numbnuts here can't open links to his browsers:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 13:37 pm 

Ive built around 6 of these now.

Mine slightly differ as I've omitted the metal side 'U' fittings (Very very early versions did not have these anyway)

They look the part but I've been using timber from Wickes and I've found after a few weeks a bit of bowing and shrinkage does occur.

Contemplating using plywood for the tops in future.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 14:14 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

krazypara3165 wrote:
Ive built around 6 of these now.

Mine slightly differ as I've omitted the metal side 'U' fittings (Very very early versions did not have these anyway)

They look the part but I've been using timber from Wickes and I've found after a few weeks a bit of bowing and shrinkage does occur.

Contemplating using plywood for the tops in future.

I'm sure I read they where ply?

Wickes? I've used Orchard Timber, a proper wood supplier, for my ration boxes I've used two sawmills, I've had to dry the wood out myself, still have half a tree trunk in the container... The two wood/fence suppliers I occasionally use for jobs says there's currently a wood shortage and the last job I done the wood dried out and I've had to go back and do some snagging, pain in the butt...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:15 am 

The distinguishing features of WWII folding tables are the square legs and the use of planks to make the top instead of a single large plate.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:08 am 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Ahhh interesting... yes came to that conclusion too.
From studying the 1935 plans and pictures of original tables I would agree, I believe too the legs taper very lightly at the bottom.

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 23:43 pm 

That is correct, the taper is visible in the original plans.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:22 am 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

I sat down, studied original pics and the plans and broke it down this way ..., the top doesn't necessarily have to be built that way, could be made up other ways, but it does have to be the right size .. and I think I got it right ?

Top .... four pieces, 3 foot long 6 inches wide, 7/8 inch thick
Table legs .... four pieces, 27 inches long and 1. 3/4 by 1 3/4 square, slight taper at the bottom
Leg stays .... one piece 19 inches long, 4 1/2 inches wide and 7/8 inch thick
.... one piece 23 inches long, 4 1/2 inches wide and 7/8 inch thick
Leg spreader .... one piece 31 inches long, 4 1/2 inches wide and 7/8 inch thick
Cleats .... two pieces 23 inches long, 1 1/4 inches wide and 7/8 inch thick

Hinges .... two 3 inch triangular strap hinges
.... four 4 inch triangular strap hinges

Clamps .... two pieces, a squared 'U' shape, 2 1/4 inches long, 3/4 inch wide (interior measurement)
arms 1 inch apart.

Clamp bolts .... 1 1/2 inches long and 1/4 inch wide (6mm coach bolts ?) plus two wing nuts to fit same

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England