WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 23:28 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 15:40 pm 

[b]WOW......blast from the past. Quartermasters was my favourite place in the whole world when I was growing up. A trip to London was not complete unless Dad and I ended up there I remember walking around the first floor with one of the guys who worked there, to a young kid crazy on this stuff it was like hallowed ground. I remember it was a dark building overall, down the back of the shop-floor there was a small room with glass cabinets with dressed dummies in there - magical place. Fibre-glass film-prop stahlhelm with foam inserts, American M1's by the box full and the musty smell of the place. Dad bought me an M1 on one trip up there and I wore the bloody thing EVERYWHERE around London for the next three days!!!When did they pack up?[/b]

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 19:32 pm 

Think it was when they reconstructed Angel Tube station in the early '90s. They built an office development on top of it and that seems to have prompted a clearout of the surrounding tenants.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 13:49 pm 

Group: AFRA
Thanks again with the memory jog. Like so many others here...one of my early explorations in serious ww2 collecting -not forgetting all pre-internet, so no ebay etc. So finding ads in exchange and mart ad later trips with an AtoZ map to these real 'Aladdins caves' of stuff you didn't quite know where to look first and wished you had at least 3x the cash in your pocket! Learnt a lot about things too. I certainly Remember trips to QM's and of course places like Silvermans (remember the little A5 sized white paper catalogue they had?) and even Laurence corner. I remember the prices even more for original ww2 and nam kit. I suppose i was lucky to have picked up what i did i as i still have it. With places like Sabre sales in Portsmouth gone i suppose that kind of shopping experience is dying out.

Does anyone remember the double decker bus Silvermans used to have to go to events? they would turn up with it at the trader stalls at Biggin Hill airshow and work out of it.

Thank you for getting this topic going!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 17:41 pm 

I do remember Silversman's (though even then they were expensive, and seemed to have an attitude of 'give us your money and get the hell out of here so we can go back to doing something more interesting') and Laurence Corner (got some good buys there over the years, BD blouse for £4, set of '08 webbing for £14) and also the other shop across the road from them, kept by two old ladies from Belfast.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:14 am 
1000+ Poster

Another important company probably very few remember now is a company in Plymouth from memory called Panel Firearms.

They were one of the first company to start advertising deactivated Firearms in a major way from memory in those days in Exchange a Mart.
I brought a Sten at the time (long gone) and they had all sorts including Lewis LMG when I visited. The legal position at that time was still a bit grey and I believe the local Police took a regular interest.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 21:11 pm 

Robin Panell used to advertise extensively in the firearms press, I was told he was last heard of selling Bibles.